Followers

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wasaga Beach Sledfest 2014

Today we braved the cold to support not only Sledfest as a community event but to cheer on our neighbours boys who were both racing!
Project 365.4 the neighbours boys at Sledfest
It was so cold...
  Tylers practice run
Ian giving Tyler the thumbs up
Girls playing on the snowhills...don't let the sun fool you it was freezing!
 Josh was up next but I only caught the tail end as they weren't announcing the practice runs.
Sierra was so cold but she did manage a smile when Tina brought out some Timbits :)
 The girls all got cold and they piled in the tobaggan and covered up with a warm blanket but they didn't last long after this...they wanted to go home.
 One family photo before Ian takes the girls home.
Josh getting ready for his first race.
HE WON!!! and moves on.

Tyler was up next for his first race...
He was super disappointed that he didn't win this round :(

Josh up again for his second round
Which he won again!!!
It was a long cold day (8 hours) but I stayed with Tina till the end to watch Josh's final race of the day. My camera battery died as I forgot to charge it after Christmas so all I got of the final race was a pic of Josh's competion left in the dust! He smoked this poor guy in the last race (at 72 miles per hour) with his highest speed of the day around 76miles an hour.
Wohooo he won the finals!

But was really disappointed with how the prize was awarded.
 The lady came out of her trailer and said, "alright lets get this over with I want a beer. I'm cold and tired so I'm not coming out you'll have to come over to me"

I was shocked.

She then went on to say those of you that add things to the internet please only post positive things as we would like to do this again. She thanked many people who helped then started calling out names, handed them their plaque and quickly moved onto the next name. It was so fast that by the time I raised my phone, Josh was already leaving the doorway.

I think Sledfest is a great family community event and would like to see it continue on but tired or not she could have put a bit more effort into acknowledging everyone's accomplishments. Josh is 11 amongst a group of men who raced. He was so excited to participate and winning was even more excited. He should be proud that he beat all those men he raced against.

Josh with his winning plaque...
 
the same plaque everyone won. It doesn't say he won such and such race, or First place or anything...more like a generic participation plaque :(

Surely with all the donations to make this event happen, with the entrance fees and spectator fees they could have put first place on the plaque at least. I have no idea how many thousands of dollars it cost to put on this event (an article I read said it can cost up to $40,000) but surely putting 1st place on a plaque wouldn't have busted the bank.

The boys planned on entering tomorrow too but really lost their motivation after this few minutes of having the awards passed out.

I hope Sledfest comes back again next year but I hope they put a little more time and energy into awarding everyone's successes and accomplishes so sorry lady if my post is negative but I don't believe in rewarding bad behaviour with positive reinforcement. I do thank Wasaga Beach for allowing this to happen and all the behind the scenes people who helped as I know it took a lot and i do hope to see this event or similar ones back again next year. I'm a summer girl and to get me to stand outside for 8 hours in the freezing cold is a major accomplishment :)

Congratulations Josh O'Leary for winning your 500 Studed stock race (or what ever it's official title was)!!! We are proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and visiting your blogs too :)